What is a greenhouse in agriculture?
Greenhouse is a structure (mainly a frame) with a wall and a roof made of metal, wood or plastic tubing, and it can be covered using polythene, glass, or polycarbonate.
Types of greenhouse
- Tunnel type
- Vented type
Uses of a greenhouse
- Temperature regulation.
- Grow in a clean environment
- Grow all season
How long does it last?
Check regularly for these;
- Wood rot.
- Metal rust.
- Polythene cover scratches or dents.
Low cost greenhouse size and price in Kenya
wooden greenhouse prices in kenya
|Size (Meters)||Price (Ksh)|
Metallic greenhouse prices in Kenya
|Size (Meters)||Price (Ksh)|
Included in total price
- Structure (Frame)
- Insect net/ shade net
- Crop support
- Drip irrigation kit
- Starter Pack (Seeds, chemicals and planting trays)
- Soil testing
- Sand cement and ballast
Excluded from total price
- Transport of materials to site location.
- Tank stand
Types of greenhouse floor
This will depend on where you choose to plant your crops in.
- Floor covered with black polythene.
- Concrete floor. A layer of black polythene can be added.
- No covering
17 Best crops to grow
- Squash and Zucchini
- Collard Greens
- Green Beans
10 Best fruits to grow
Greenhouse construction in Kenya
It is important to request for a site survey to determine;
- Topography. To determine whether the land is flat or sloppy.
- Collect soil samples for soil testing. Soil samples are collected and taken to the lab for soil analysis. The tests carried out are a nutrient and pathological analysis.
- Availability of reliable water supply. To ensure the greenhouse plants have adequate water, you need to have a steady supply of water.
- Accessibility. The greenhouse needs to be in an easily accessible area, since constant care and monitoring is required.
- Once the payment has been made, delivery takes 3-4 days.
- The metal for fabrication is acquired locally. We use 38MM and 42MM round tubes during the fabrication process. This usually takes 1-2 days depending on the workload.
- For a wooden structure, round timber poles are sourced locally. They don’t require fabrication. This means the delivery time might be shorter.
- After we acquire the metal or timber, we pack everything requested by the client for prompt delivery to the site. These include; polythene (cover), tank, drip irrigation kit, seeds, starter package, and a technician.
Greenhouse installation process and prices in Kenya
The price is included in the total cost of. The land is measured, divided, and marked accordingly.
Metallic/wooden stands are then erected. They provide support for holding the cover and roof. The cover is held in place using profile and w-wires.
A drip irrigation kit is installed and the lines per bed and drip spacing depend on what you are growing.
Seeds and Seedlings.
The seeds are placed in planting trays containing rich planting media like coco peat or peat moss. Normally seeds germinate for a period of 1-2weeks after which they are transplanted to planting bags.
What diseases are likely to attack?
It is important to know the type of diseases that might attack. Early detection will help minimize losses.
Fighting these diseases will also boost your morale and make your journey more satisfying.
Sources of diseases include;
- Infected soil.
- Debris from previous crops.
- contaminated water
Some actions taken to minimize disease include;
- Spacing plants properly to ensure air circulates properly
- Quarantining new plants until you are sure they are disease free.
- Proper ventilation of the structure
- Clean your working tools
- Check the plants daily for signs of disease or discoloration.
Here are some of the diseases likely to attack;
- Fungal infections – Fungal infections like powdery mildew, phytophthora, botrytis and root rot are mainly caused by overly wet conditions.
Don’t leave normal greenhouse plants in water for too long. They should be watered until they start to drain and then allowed to continue drain completely.
- Viruses – Viruses are mainly carried into the greenhouse by plant-feeding insects. Monitor when insects start to appear.
Characterized by discolored yellow rings or mosaic patterns on rings. Virial infections are incurable and affected plants must be destroyed.
- Bacterial infections – Bacterial infections like blight and erwinia are incurable, so if your plants develop water-soaked spots and tissues begin to melt into a sticky, gummy substance, get the sick ones out of the greenhouse and destroy them right away.
Metallic or wooden greenhouse in Kenya, Kisumu, Nairobi, Eldoret, Nyeri, Mombasa, Machakos, Kajiado, Meru, Marsabit, Bungoma, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Somalia, Sudan, Rwanda